Thursday, 15 May 2008

Actually making useful things

So I was sorting out my wardrobe a few weeks ago (it became necessary), and I found this frock.


(bad picture, sorry)

I've always loved the skirt on this dress but not the bodice, and I've always half-meant to try and make it into a skirt, but chickened out. When I found it in my wardrobe the other week, I first thought 'I should give this to the charity shop - I haven't worn it in ages and probably won't wear it again.' Then I thought 'So what's to be lost by trying to make it into a maternity skirt?'

Some googling led me to this excellent tutorial, so I dug out some pieces of t-shirt that I had lying around and set to it.

I cut the bodice off the dress, hemmed it along the back and cut a larger section out at the front



I cut out a correspondingly-shaped piece of t-shirt fabric, and threaded elastic through the hem



Half an hour swearing at the sewing machine, et voilĂ !



It fits really well and is so cool and comfortable in this hot weather we've been having. I love wearing skirts in the summer, so I think I need to go into town at some point and hit the charity shops for skirts (then Primark for matching t-shirts). The whole thing took about an hour and a half, start to finish.

I've made something else useful this week as well, but I'm saving that up for another post. Must make the most of this burst of creativity.

4 comments:

  1. That's lovely :) I think perhaps I recognise the dress, although I could be imagining it ... maybe I remember a similar one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had it for years and years so you've probably seen it at some point! It's been at the back of the wardrobe for a couple of years though. It needed something doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just so clever. Glad you enjoyed making it! I remember that dress too. xoxoxoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great conversion!! Go, you!

    ReplyDelete