Thursday, 11 June 2009

Pattern: Knitted Belt

Playing about with some knitting books from the library led to this belt.



The pattern is so ridiculously simple that I had it memorised after about an inch of knitting, and I share it here with you:

Cast on 6 stitches
Row 1: Knit three, yarn over, slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over, knit one
Row 2: Purl three, yarn over, purl two together, purl one
Repeat until it's as long as you want it. I found it easy to remember by thinking 'three stitches, increase, decrease, stitch'.

You can then either cast off normally, or to make a pointy end, I did the following:

Row 1: Knit one, knit two together, slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over, knit one
Row 2: Purl all stitches
Row 3: Knit two together, slip one, knit one, pass slipped stitch over
Break yarn and pull through two remaining stitches

Ta da!



I used Patons Washed Haze Aran (an aran/worsted weight cotton and acrylic blend) and 4mm needles. And a buckle I found in my button box.

13 comments:

  1. How lovely!
    Thanks for sharing this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! This is the best one I've seen yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane! I just finished your knitted belt! so gorgeous!!!
    I’m so happy it looks great with a pair of jeans! I also made the translation in french. Would you mind if I put the translation on my blog with a direct link on your site??? saying that you’re the designer?
    I wait for your answer before making the blog post!

    Thanks in advance for your answer

    Casa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casa,

    That would be absolutely fine! Let me know the link so I can add it to the Ravelry page.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this pattern! I am going to attempt it to make for a friend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unhappy with pattern. I tires it several times with various yarns and needles and all looked equally awwful. The opennibgs down the center are particularly unatractive. After we all had a good laugh we tore them all out and are moving on to a pattern we'd be willing to wear. Wouldn't waer this myself let alone give it as a gift.
    Tris

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this look. what size needle did you use? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used 4mm needles and aran (worsted) weight yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly what I've been searching for to wear with cords or jeans! I think I'm about the same size as the---ahem---buns in the photo. How much yarn does this take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm afraid I don't really know - I just used some leftovers. Not very much, is the only answer I have! Sorry

      Delete
  10. Just come across this while looking for items suitable for craft stall at Christmas Fairs. Ideal!

    By the way I've put a link to this pattern on my website. I hope that is OK by you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete