Friday, 12 November 2010

Hats!



I don't know what was over there, either, but if getting one child to sit still for a photo is difficult then getting them both to do it was nearly impossible. Maybe I will share the outtakes later.

I had some chunky wool (the blue left over from the Laura's owlet jumper, the pink was some leftovers my mother-in-law gave me) and my darlings needed hats for the winter. I made up the pattern as I went along but I jotted it down so here it is. No idea on gauge, sorry, but I used chunky wool and 6.5mm needles.

Easy Ribbed Bug Hats

K = knit
P = purl
P2tog = purl two together
K2tog = knit two together

Cast on 48 (baby) or 60 (toddler) stitches and join to work in the round.
Work in K2P2 rib for 6"/15cm (baby) or 7.5"/19cm (toddler).

Work crown as follows:
1. K2, P2tog round
2. K2, P1 round
3. K2tog, P1 round
4. K1, P1 round until one stitch remains
5. K2tog round, 12 (baby)/15 (toddler) stitches on needle

Cut yarn leaving a short length, draw it through the stitches using a darning needle, pull tight and sew in firmly. Sew in other end.

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of new to knittng, so I may be missing the obvious. Do I use double-pointed needles for this?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Yes for working in the round you would need either double-pointed needles or I believe you can use a circular needle doing something called a 'magic loop' but I'm not sure what that is because I like double-pointed needles. :)

    You could also work it flat though. Let's see. The first section would be the same. The crown rows would be:
    1: k2, p2tog across
    2: k1, p2 across
    3: k2tog, p1 across
    4: k1, p1 across
    5: k2tog round

    Then cut the yarn, draw through the stitches, pull it tight and sew up the back seam.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete