Friday, 5 November 2010

Remember, Remember etc

My father was a Lewes man and while I was growing up, every 5th of November we would go there for the Bonfire Night celebrations, which are the largest in the world. I haven't been able to make it the last few years, since I live further away now and have babies and things, but at least I can still make bonfire toffee to mark the occasion.

Bonfire Toffee

4oz butter
8oz sugar
8oz golden syrup

Put it all in a saucepan



and boil for about ten minutes.



Test by dropping a bit into a cup of cold water - when it sets hard, it's done. Pour into a lined tin and leave to set



then break up into mouth-sized pieces and share with friends, family, people you wish would stop talking, etc.



(be careful as the mixture does get VERY hot - and don't get it on a ceramic hob as I understand Bad Things will happen)

2 comments:

  1. Yum Yum xxxxxx M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, bonfire toffee :) We had some at the weekend and it was delicious, although it was in a huge solid lump and we had to extract edible-sized chunks with an apple corer!

    ReplyDelete