Monday, 25 July 2011

Birthdays and Caterpillars

Emily turns one* tomorrow so on Sunday afternoon we had her little birthday party. She now has many new toys and clothes, and more presents to come tomorrow!

I made her a Very Hungry Caterpillar cake



because that is her bedtime story. It has a very straightforward construction, made from two circular cakes



and covered in plenty of green and red butter icing (although a little tip: don't use Dr Oetker Natural Red Colouring. For one thing, it tends to the orange, and for the other, it's made from beetroot extract and leaves a definite vegetable-y aftertaste. I meant to get cochineal and shall make sure I do next time). Also dolly mixtures for his face and feet.

Laura's third* birthday is next month and she wants a kitty cake. She did have a cat cake for her first birthday but I think I want to try something different this time. Not sure what though.

*seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy - Almost to good to eat - I say almost because after all...it is cake!

    ReplyDelete