Tuesday, 13 March 2012

And more on Mike the Knight

I've nearly finished my BJD sweater knitting pattern book (hopefully I'll be able to finish getting it typed up and tidied up tonight). The last few weeks my crafting time has mainly been taken up with that, so now that all the test knitting is done, I wanted a little fun project to do. And when I realised I had a big ball of blue double-knitting yarn in the right colour for Mike the Knight's helmet, that is what I decided to make.



The colours in that photo aren't quite right as it was taken indoors on my phone, and I can't get a better picture now as Laura is in bed and needs the helmet in her room with her.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It didn't take long, I managed to finish it yesterday in one day. The main part of it is a plain crocheted hat, just worked in a spiral, with a rectangular brim for the back. The grill at the front was a bit more challenging and was worked in two halves, from the ends to the centre, then sewn together and edged. The feather is a red drinking straw with red feathers glued onto it, then I made a little tube of crochet and sewed that onto the top of the hat, and glued the feather inside.

Laura loves her hat; she wore it to the dentist yesterday and another little girl saw it and shouted 'Mike!' so I know it looks right! It's so much fun making these things for her. I'll try and get a modelled photograph of it tomorrow, I'm sure it'll spend much of the day being worn!

7 comments:

  1. Another pattern for Ravelry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is brilliant! I love how our little ones are now at the age when they really get into acting out books/tv shows and using props! You should sell those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in both those cases I would have had to have made some sort of notes on the pattern. Making one is fun but making more would be dull. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I MUST have this pattern!!! If you are going to put it on revelry, please message me - i'm knittingkylie. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you make these to sell?
    orcatail@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you make these to sell?
    orcatail@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I don't I'm afraid, that was just a one-off and I can't remember now how I did it! Sorry

      Delete