Monday, 11 February 2013

Handspun Scarf

As I think I said before, one of the items on my Day Zero list was to spin enough yarn to make a scarf. I used the wool I bought at the Knitting & Stitching Show. And now it is finished!

I thought about spinning and plying all the yarn, then alternating skeins so that my uneven spinning at the start would not be as obvious. But I was impatient to start knitting it up and also I thought it would be a fun illustration of how much my spinning improved just over that much fibre. Which is the explanation for this, the starting end:



Very lumpy! But as I progressed I definitely improved. The first yarn was very overspun; by halfway down the scarf I was spinning much more evenly and the yarn was softer. I didn't separate out the colours, just span it as it came, which made it nice and tweedy.



The scarf is blocking now. It's not actually long enough for a scarf, so I'm going to sew it round into a cowl and add some pretty buttons. The blocking has made the overspun yarn bloom a bit and hopefully it will even out the width. But I'm pretty proud of myself! And I've even finished another item from handspun, more about that another day!

Linking up to Making Monday with Natalie and Handmade Monday with Handmade Harbour. Lots of lovely blogs on both of those so check them out!

14 comments:

  1. I love the colours, and think you are very clever spinning the yarn yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just so impressed you spun your own yarn. I think it will make a lovely cowl.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only had a very quick go at spinning on a drop spindle so I can appreciate how much work is involved in this. This looks very snuggly, perfect for windy walks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the texture in that, and the tweediness. It'll make a fab cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever to make a scarf to see your progress! It must feel quite rewarding to see your improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Spinning your own yarn. I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really impressed at spinning your own yarn!Have to say it looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh pretty colours and so impressed at not only the spinning but also the knitting - I can't do either! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very impressed. I would have no idea how to spin my own yarn! I like the effect you have made and I hope you wear your cowl with pride - you need a nice large label saying 'I spun this myself'!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely - I think it all adds to the uniqueness of the scarf. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed this. I'm impressed, I'm in awe of anyone who can spin. Love the tweedy effect.

    ReplyDelete